Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Here we go!

I have been complaining about the quality of Kalamazoo restaurants for years. Generally, its been sucky. An endless run of corporate chains and a few local joints with no imagination. I mean, really! How many places are going to put a turkey club sandwich on their menu! C'mon! So until recently, If anyone asked me for a restaurant recommendation, I told them to get out of town. Go to Chicago, or at least make a road trip to Grand Rapids.
Now, Kalamazoo is getting better... A little bit. They don't have to work to hard to improve on what was. It was pathetic! So if you add a sushi restaurant, a Spanish tapas bar and a British pub, you've automatically improved the selection. But the standards for those places is not that high. Even the most sophisticated diners in Kalamazoo are thrilled to have a couple of place to choose from - even if they are just mediocre.
The restaurants that are opening are getting a free ride! A trendy decor, a hip logo and a $20 entrée will automatically draw in a hip and trendy crowd, desperate for good food, desperate for a stimulating metropolitan experience - even if the food is average. I want to challenge them to do better. I live in Kalamazoo. For the time being, I'm staying. And I want better food! So, I'll do my best with my limited means to visit a Kalamazoo restaurant each week, and I will post a review here. If you object to what I say, let me know. If you agree, let me know. And if you know of a place that's fantastic - by all means - let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Please review Oakwood Bistro. It is one of my favorites so I'm curious what you think.

    ReplyDelete